Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Productive Day

Got a lot of good work in today. Polished two chapters of my novel, Butterfly's Child. That puts me halfway through the edits, and I am on schedule to complete the project by the end of this month. I've been averaging 1 chapter per day. It's a lot of work, but it's coming along.

I also managed to post a book review to my Examiner.com LGBT Literary column: Property by Jordan Castillo Price. A gay crime drama. Check it out at: http://tinyurl.com/labl3d

Sad to say I quit reading a gay historical novel by a fairly respected author, I won't mention her name. I struggled through the first 100 pages, but I couldn't take any more. Melodramatic, head-hopping, too much telling, not enough action, simplistic plot and characters. All in all I found it very amateurish. I knew there was no way I could give this story a good review, so I tossed it and started a new novel, The Low Road by James Lear. It's gay erotica (and I'm not a fan of erotica) but the writing is a pleasure to read. It's done in first-person, so at least there won't be any head-hopping. Hopefully this will be a pleasant surprise.

I had hoped to spend time outlining my new screenplay today, but there was not enough time. That will be a priority tomorrow.

No comments: