Monday, December 3, 2012

Palm Springs Parade of Lights


We have an annual Christmas tradition here in Palm Springs, a Parade of Lights in early December. This year it fell on Dec. 1st, a Saturday, and it was my first time attending. Yes, I was a virgin, but no more. I’ve seen the light, so to speak.

As you can see from the pictures below, this parade happens after sunset, and is a colorful display of light in a celebration of the holiday season. It is a treat for young and old, with giant floats, marching bands, and dancing characters from the Wizard of Oz. Yes, Dorothy and her crew were there, along with drag queens and Santa. There was truly something for everyone.

Since moving to this small town a year ago, Herman and I have witnessed at least six parades down Palm Canyon, our main thoroughfare. I’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating,  I love living in a township where several times a year, the entire community flocks down town to celebrate some special event. Palm Springs has that wonderful sense of community that I’ve not experienced elsewhere.










No comments: