Monday, April 8, 2013

Palm Springs Opera In The Park


Every year about this time, Palm Springs Opera Guild and the city of Palm Springs hosts Opera In The Park. This is the second year I’ve attended. PS hosts many fun events throughout the year, but I’ve come to love OITP more than the others. It is an exceptional day of beautiful music in the welcoming ambience of sunny Palm Springs.

I’ve attended many Opera In The Park events in San Francisco and once in Sydney, Australia, and I can honestly say that our tiny town of Palm Springs puts on a world-class event that rivals these others I’ve attended.

The singers, of course, are what make this a spectacular affair. Eight young, extremely talented voices. Anush Avetisyan, Lauren Edwards, Joshua Guerrero, Marina Harris, Jure Pockaj, Rodell Rosel were all superb singing arias by Mozart, Verdi, Rossini, Puccini, Offenbach and Bizet.

It was Alannah Garnier and David Castello, however, who took my breath away. Both had superlative voices, and both were uniquely beautiful. I found their combination of sexiness and talent overwhelming.


The sunshine, the setting, the music, the friendly crowd—this is an event I recommend to everyone who loves music. So next year, pack up a picnic lunch, chill a bottle of white wine, and come to PS. You won’t regret it. 

No comments: