Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Meaning of Life Through Writing


I read a quote this morning shortly after logging on:

The meaning of life is creative love. Not love as an inner feeling, as a private sentimental emotion, but love as a dynamic power moving out into the world and doing something original.
-       Tom Morris, from his book 'If Aristotle Ran General Motors'

It occurred to me that if this is true, then what I do, what all writers do, is driven by love. We take emotions, ideas, and life experiences that originate inside our minds, and drive them out into the world. And, hopefully, that work is original.

I believe that Tom Morris is correct. Why else would I spend so much of my life sitting at my laptop creating plots and characters and settings, and wrestling with ideas and words for so little financial reward? It simply must be an act of love, a loving devotion to one’s art.

This notion that love motivates my work changes nothing. But I do like the idea. I’m a firm believer in Karma. So when a soul spends their life creating work built on love, the world will respond in kind. 

No comments: