Monday, July 22, 2013

The Fire Above Palm Springs is Out



Last week I posted an article describing the forest fire that was raging in the mountains above Palm Springs. As of Saturday, it had burned over 25,000 acres and several homes, Idyllwild was partly evacuated, and the ash falling on Palm Springs was so heavy residents were told to stay indoors. It was only 50% contained by Saturday night, and officials were saying the fire could take another two weeks to put out. Then the rains came.

In my article last week, I asked if anyone out there was particularly good at rain dancing, and apparently someone was. It poured cats and dogs for about three hours.

The good news: over an inch of rain put the fire out and washed all the soot out of Palm Springs. Things are back to normal here in this city I love. The bad news: it rained so much that my backyard flooded. Time to call Roto Rooter to unclog the drainage system on my patio. Lol

Over the course of last week I heard from a number of friends and colleagues concerned about my welfare and offering places for my husband and I to stay until the fire was out. Herman and I were both deeply touched by everyone’s concern and generosity.  I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You all are truly marvelous. I feel blessed to know so many giving people.

The old adage is spot-on, you don’t know who your real friends are until you’re up to your neck in poo and need help. Thank you everyone. 


No comments: