Thursday, September 26, 2013

My Love/Hate Relationship with my Beta Reader


I’m working with another author just now, one I respect for his knowledge of story structure. He’s beta reading my latest manuscript and I’m commenting on his. We are worlds apart on style and approach to writing, and that’s a good thing, I believe.

He gives both high-level comments and detail edits within the text, which is great. Actually, its not just great, his fresh eyes on my work has been invaluable. It’s one thing for a reader to comment on my work, it’s an entirely different ballgame when a savvy author does it.

So I love that he’s pointing out potential holes him my story and character development. I also hate that he’s pointing out potential holes in my story and character development. (smile)

At the end of the day, my story will be a much better work because of his insights, even though he’s making me work a lot harder than I had anticipated. I’m willing to do that work, and I like that he’s shining new light on these characters and their motivations.

My only hope/worry is that he finds my comments on his work as helpful has I’m finding his. After all his hard work, I’d hate to let him down.  

No comments: