Thursday, October 10, 2013

How A Small Town Celebrates Its Young People


I love Palm Springs. I’ve lived here almost two years, and each passing day I come to love it more. One of the things I love about this small town is that we take the time and effort to celebrate and honor everyone. Several times each year we block off the main business district and enjoy a parade—gay/lesbian, Veterans, Christmas, Thanksgiving.

Yesterday we enjoyed one of my favorite parades, one that honors school kids. Yes, except for the local politicians riding in convertibles, the parade is made up of school kids from all the schools in Palm Springs. It is a celebration of youth, and kids of all ages turn out to enjoy the show.

This year it rained right up until the start of the parade. Then the skies cleared and the rain stopped. The parade was a success, and as soon as it was over, it began to rain again. Someone up there likes us, I guess.

I’ll share some pics of this year’s event.


















No comments: