Monday, June 30, 2014

Quiet Pride


I hope that everyone, gay and straight and whatever, enjoyed the happiest Pride celebration ever. LGBTQ Americans have much to be thankful for, and much to celebrate. It’s been a year of victories with regard to marriage equality. Never before in the history of our nation has the lgbtq community been so open and possessed so much freedom to express ourselves.

As much as I enjoy waving the rainbow flag for all to see, I spent this pride weekend at home in Palm Springs, painting my master bedroom. I began supporting Pride events back in San Francisco over thirty-five years ago. I’ve done my share of marching and spectating. These days, I like to take a more Zen approach to Pride, that is showing the pride I have in my relationship with my husband every minute of the day, everywhere we go, even when it’s just painting our bedroom.

To be honest, these days I no longer feel “gay.” I feel like an ordinary man, who happens to love and respect and cherish the man I live with, my husband. We seem to have all the joys and challenges that I see in every other relationship. I guess I’ve just gotten to the point where I don’t like labels. They seem to divide people.

In Palm Springs, we celebrate Pride in November. We do that for two reasons. 1) Nobody wants to get all dolled up and then march down the street in heels when it’s 110 degrees in the shade—the weather in November is much more conducive to marching. 2) LA and San Diego are both a two hour drive away, so we like to support those Pride events at this time of year. They in turn, come support our celebration in November. It’s a win/win/win.

Happy Pride, Everyone!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the tone of your post... how you honor and approach the relationship of your husband ... and how in your lifetime, you're seeing that which we all crave:

just to be NORMAL.

i'm glad to hear you'll still celebrate your gay identity. but how marvelous to envision a time where we won't HAVE to (though I hope we always will!)...

Cheers!