Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Day One in TrumpLand

Plato said in the Republic that democracy is not a good form of government because when you let the masses chose their leaders, you don’t get the brightest and the best qualified leaders. You get leaders like the common people, because common people will vote for people like themselves.

Last night, Plato hit the nail on the head. Not only did Donald Trump win the presidential election, the Republicans also held control of the House and the Senate. I feel like I’ve been gut-shot. Yesterday,
hate won,
fear won,
racism won,
sexism won,
homophobia won,
prejudice won,
self interest won.

The American people have spoken, letting the world know that they don’t value integrity, honesty, compassion, and competency.

Today I am grieving, because I believed that America had advanced beyond these kinds of deplorable attitudes. I was wrong.

No comments: