Friday, September 25, 2009

My Top Twenty List of LGBT Themed Books.

I recently saw a blog that listed a writer's top picks for GLBT books. I thought, what a lovely idea, to post all the books I've loved and have influenced me over the years. So today, I'm compiling such a list of GLBT books:

(in no particular order)

1. Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley
2. Comfort & Joy by Jim Grimsley
3. Boulevard by Jim Grimsley
4. The hours by Michael Cunningham
5. A Home at the end of the World by Michael Cunningham
6. The Persian Boy by Mary Renault
7. Maurice by E. M. Forster
8. The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren
9. Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim
10. Breakfast At Tiffany’s by Truman Capote
11. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
12. The Lost Language of Cranes by David Leavitt
13. While England Sleeps by David Leavitt
14. Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
15. Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx
16. The Beautiful Room is Empty by Edmund White
17. A Boy’s Own Story by Edmund White
18. Do You Remember Tulum by Alex Jeffers
19. Conduct Unbecoming by Randy Shilts
20. Island Song by Alan Chin

There are a number of books with gay or lesbian characters and that have glbt themes that I’ve enjoyed over the years. The above list, however, are the ones most memorable to me. I know I’m leaving several great ones out, but I seem to be having a senior moment. I’ll update this list as titles come to me.

Please, everyone feel free to leave your picks on the comments. I'd love to hear about the books that really moved you.

No comments: