Thursday, November 18, 2010

McCain's hypocrisy on DADT

I was planning to write a blog post about the support I've recently enjoyed from other writers, and how some writers go out of their way to help others. However, I've gotten sidetracked. I came across a quote taken from Jon Stewart that I wanted to share with as many people as possible. The paragraph below was taken from a Campaign Courage email.

On Monday, the Daily Show's Jon Stewart showcased McCain's hypocrisy on DADT along with a cautionary prediction: When the history books are written, McCain's stalling won't be seen as the last brave stand of a beloved statesman, but rather, as the incoherent and ultimately futile desperation of a small-minded man refusing to embrace equal rights.

I generally don't speak of politics on this blog, but when I read that I wanted to stand and salute. I spent four years in the Navy back during the Vietnam conflict (back then we still didn't call it a war) and the entire time I had to keep a huge part of myself hidden from my fellow sailors because of small-minded bigots like McCain. He and I both served our country during the same time in history, yet he thinks he is better than I am. Not only does he think he's better, he thinks I, and people like me, shouldn't even have the right to express ourselves.

Mr. McCain, you are no spring chicken. By this advanced time in your life you should have learned you are no better than anyone else - me included. I, and people like me, should enjoy every right that you do. But apparently you still have not figured it out. I guess some people are simply very slow learners.

It is very much a shame that officials in our government, people whose salaries are paid with my tax dollars, spend their time trying so desperately to take away the rights of the people they represent.

No comments: