Monday, January 17, 2011

Going Back to Prison

For the past several days, I've been reading a discussion on an online writing/reading group regarding the lack of crossdressers and effeminate protagonists in lgbt literature. I'm not sure if I should thank Victor, Carol, Arlene, Mick and others for this interesting discussion, or damn them all.

I've been toying with the idea of returning to the Changi POW camp in The Lonely War to tell that story from Clifford's -- Andrew's effeminate boyhood crush -- POV. This discussion has convinced me that I must. So I've scheduled the later part of this year to write Clifford's story, and have already sketched out a high-level outline. I've been avoiding this because I didn't want to relive that place again, but I'm afraid there is no avoiding it now -- my imagination is already at full gallop. To add to my desire to write that story, in three weeks time I will fly to Singapore, and will tour the Changi POW camp, or what is left of it. It has been preserved as a war museum.

BTW: Clifford, in real life, was my first boyhood love. We met when we were both fourteen.

No comments: