Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sharing Some Good News

Saying of the week: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Gandhi

This week I’m sharing some good news with all my friends. Over the past few months I’ve been searching for ways to promote the upcoming publication of my first novel, Island Song. Well, in searching out places to advertise, I inquired at QBliss.net, a gay online and soon to be paper magazine. The editing director asked to see a sample of my writing so I pointed him to my three blogs. When he got back to me, he asked me to write a monthly column for QBliss, which would put my name and publishing information in front of thousands of gay readers every month. I was, of course, thrilled, and jumped at the offer. We exchanged several emails discussing exactly what theme my column would have. I felt that there were three areas I could add value to the magazine, a world travel column (I’ve traveled to over 40 countries in the last 10 years), a book review column (I read two to three current books per month), or a column about gay literature and publishing (I’ve written four novels, at least two of which are in the process of being published.) After weeks of going back and forth, he asked me to write all three articles for each issue.
I know that sounds like a lot of writing, but in actuality, it’s not much more than I’m doing now with my blog posts. I write two or three book reviews, and a weekly blog article, so I don’t think it will take much more of my time. The best news is that my lover, Herman, has decided to help on the writing and picture selection of the travel article, since he loves travel even more than I do. It’s a project that we can work on together, writing about the many places he and I have visited over the years.
So my lucky streak that started at the beginning of this year with the acceptance of my second novel by Zumaya Publications continues to roll smoothly along.
Check out the March issue of QBliss magazine at QBliss.net for a colorful article on Bagan, Myanmar (Burma), and a book review of Frederick Smith’s Right Side of the Wrong Bed, and Alan Bennett’s The Uncommon Reader. It’s free.
You can also find travel articles about other destinations at HermanandAlan.blogspot.com
If you’re experiencing similar good news in your life, please let me know. I love hearing about good news even more that sharing my own.
And now I need to cut this short, the Burma article is calling….

No comments: