Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Highlight of My Week

Yesterday was the highlight of my week – my day in the city working on screenplays. Every Tuesday, a group of eight screenwriters meet in the Presidio to review and discuss each other’s work. Normal I write alone in my office at home, but during these Tuesday meetings, I get to discuss writing, structure, plot points and style with other writers. I love it.
The meeting only lasts two hours, 10 a.m. to noon, and we normally discuss two or three works in various stages of completion. Although it is not so structured that we don’t go off in tangents. We often do. That’s generally when I enjoy it the most. The creativity in the room seems to burst through all of us. We use each other, not only to learn, but to inspire.
After the meeting, my script writing partner, Ed Harris, and my husband, Herman have lunch, then afterwards go to Ed’s house and work on our current work-in-progress script.
It turns into a day of ideas, of learning, of collaboration, of creation. We create, we refine our stories. By 5 p.m., I’m exhausted, but very happy.
I love talking shop, and Tuesdays are my day to do just that, all day.

2 comments:

Irene Watson said...

Supporting each other is one of the most powerful things in our growth! Sounds like you have a wonderful network.

AlanChinWriter said...

Yes, Irene, I love working with other talented writers. My writing grows wonderfully when we meet. It is very powerful. I highly recommend writing groups if they are populated with serious writers.