Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More Completions

Almost two years ago, I signed with a literary agent to find a publisher for my third novel, Match Maker. Over the course of 18 months, she sent the manuscript to ten different publishers, and received a rejection from each one. At the beginning of March she informed me that she was giving up, and that I was on my own.

At the time I was pretty upset with her. Not only for giving up, but that she only sent it to 10 publishers. I decided that, before I began looking for a publisher, I would give the manuscript another round of edit/polishing.

For the last 6 weeks, I’ve been polishing, and I’m amazed at the difference. It’s clear to me now that I was over confident and rushed to get a manuscript to print before it was ready. It’s also clear that I’m a better writer now that I was two years ago. But now, I believe the prose is as good as I’m capable of making it. It feels grand that I’m done with this novel, again, and that it is good work.

So starting tomorrow, I begin the task of finding a publisher.

Wish me luck.

No comments: