Friday, December 10, 2010

The Lonely War sweeps the Rainbow Awards






I woke up to some wonderful news in my inbox today. There are two main LGBT literary contests each year -- Lambda Literary and the Rainbow Awards.

The winners for the Rainbow Awards were announce today and the news was great. My novel, The Lonely War, swept the Rainbow Awards, taking 1st place in four categories:
Best Overall Gay Fiction,
Best Historical Fiction,
Best Characters,
Best Setting.

This is what some of the judges had to say about The Lonely War:

This is a very demanding but oh-so-rewarding book. While I don't know if I
would read it again--at 303 pages which included some rough passages I'd rather not experience again--I can honestly say that this is a book that deserves to be read by fans of m/m who want a more realistic angle OR maybe something that is slightly off-center. It's a brilliant novel. One I'm happy I got the chance to immerse myself in. --Luce

This, I have to say, was the Jewel in the Crown of my Rainbow Award books. It was an EXCELLENT read. It kept me rapt and I can honestly say, that I never, ever, not once, knew what would happen next - but when whatever it was unfolded, I believed it. This, for me, represents very good quality writing. It is not predictable, it is realistic, emotionally engaging, engrossing and very well written. A truly worthy contender for the top spot in this category in my opinion. --Rosie

Needless to say, I'm quite thrilled. Whether or not this will translate into more sales, I have no idea. I’m simply grateful that these judges saw quality in my writing, and in a story I feel deeply about.

Alan

No comments: