Monday, March 7, 2011

I’m Living Island Song



Today I was answering an interview question regarding the re-release of my debut novel, Island Song, when it occurred to me that I’m currently living the lifestyle I wrote about a half-dozen years ago. I was blown away, and very pleased.

In the book, Garrett Davidson rents a secluded beach shack on Hawaii’s Big Island to write a novel. I describe his daily life as rising with the sun, taking a morning dip in the sea, then working on his novel until lunch. His noon meal is seafood noodle soup, and then he spends the day snorkeling the reef. He walks into town for dinner (usually a bloody burger and fries), then walks back to his shack and reads until bedtime.

That is almost exactly the schedule I’ve had here in Phuket, Thailand for the last month. The only difference between Garrett and me is he had a sexy, young surfer stud to keep him company, and I have my wonderful husband of eighteen years. I think I got the better end of that deal.

It was a bit of a shock when I realized I was living in reality what my mind had created. I keep expecting the local kahuna to show up here and teach me to achieve enlightenment. Hey, if everything else is the same, why not?

The bad news is, if this trend continues, I’ll soon find myself starving to death in a brutal POW camp as I begin to live out my second book, The Lonely War. And if I survive that I’ll be shot in the back when I live through Match Maker.

You know, this could make a great storyline for a novel: Author forced to live all the hardships he creates for his characters. I like it. I really like it.

No comments: