Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why I Write

I’ve gotten to the point where I regularly receive emails from readers telling me what they thought of my stories, and although I love reading them, I no longer get too excited over them. But every once in a while one pops up in my inbox that is special. I’d like to share one with you that came today. She is talking about The Lonely War, and my offer to send all profits to the Red Cross Japanese Relief Fund.

Dear Alan,

So beautifully written, and so very bittersweet. Thanks for what you did with it. I got it at the beginning of the month so that the funds could go to Japan. I should have had two boxes of facial tissues handy before I started reading though...I went through one and had to resort to drastic measures (papertowels, lol). Bravo.

For myself I'm declaring this week Alan Chin week. Because right now you're my own personal newly minted hero. Thank you for helping me remember that each person can make a difference.

May You Be Well,


And I responded to her with a heartfelt, thank you back, for helping me remember why I write. Because it’s true, one person can make a difference in the world.

No comments: