Monday, April 9, 2012

One of My Favorite Things

Wait a minute, wasn’t “One of My Favorite Things” the title of a Julie Andrews song in Sound of Music? Sorry if I’m stealing, but I’m seldom able to enjoy one of my favorite things in the world, but last night I did (No, I’m not talking about oral sex!) and I wanted to tell everyone.

Palm Springs is hosting its annual White Party. It’s an event where several thousand drugged-up gym queens get together to parade around the pool and dance floor with no shirts on, and some with hardly any clothes at all. But that’s not my favorite thing. Yesterday afternoon they had an outdoor tea dance that lasted well into the night. At about nine o’clock, Herman and I wandered down to the event and stood across the street to listen to some pretty wild music and watch a really fantastic fireworks display.


Fireworks is one of my all-time favorite things. I’ve seen them in a number of different countries, with countless different themes. I’ve loved them all. There is something magical with lighting up the entire sky with dazzling-colored light. If I had my life to do over again, I would become one of those Pyrotechnicians. It’s got to be the best job on earth, working for months on one fifteen minute extravaganza that needs to be flawlessly timed. How I wish I could do that.

Last night’s display turned into one of the most impressive I’ve ever seen. Not for the size, it was small considering some of the ones I’ve experienced. It was notable because it had several types of fireworks I’ve never seen before, and they were spectacular. I’m not often dazzled by anything, but I was last night. It was a pure adrenaline rush.

So that my fix until the fourth of July. Sad that we don’t use fireworks more often, but I suppose if they were more common, I would begin to take them for granted.

No comments: