Saturday, September 29, 2012

Book Review: Seven Minutes by Gary Adrian Randall





Reviewer: Alan Chin
Publisher: CreateSpace
Pages: 56


Adrian and Jedd are a couple of drugged-out, gay, party-boy badasses looking for a good time on a Saturday night. When they blow one party and head across town to hookup with drugs at another party, they have a toxic confrontation with a homophobic weirdo. At that point, their lives begin spiraling down hill, and the farther they fall, the faster they plunge with seemingly no place to land.

This story is a fast-paced, sexy, gritty, wild ride. It has a great hook and escalating conflict throughout that has your head spinning by the end. Tense, funny, sad, with excitement on every page. It is a frolicking rite of passage for two dopers out to find true love.

There are several voices telling this story, all using first-person narrative, which often is confusing and hard to know who is speaking. What makes it more difficult is that all the voices sound the same. Yet, that doesn’t detract too much from the ride. I’m not sure the story would have had nearly the same punch told differently.

Here is a little excerpt:

I snap back into reality when he is about to come, which I know because he starts fucking my face.
This is one of the reasons I love him.
The other reason is that he always has weed.
The other reason is that we’ve been together for a year and 8 months, and he is fine with the fact that he doesn’t know me at all.
The truth is I don’t really even know myself.
But who the fuck does?

This is an entertaining story that has moments of philosophical insight, and I can recommend it for those who wish to walk on the wild side.

To read more about this story and Gary Adrian Randall’s writing, go to: www.gloganvlog.com


No comments: