Sunday, February 8, 2015

Honoring Vets, or Draft Dodgers???


A writer friend, whom I respect, posted that picture on FB. It upset me, even though I am a Vietnam Vet. Here was my response:

"Actually, men who burned draft cards were loyal to their country and they were brave, and they fought in their own way. The difference was, they were smart enough to know that the bullshit happening in Vietnam was something to fight against, not fight for. 

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Saigon as I write this. I've been in Vietnam for three weeks now (my third visit here) and I can see the remains of the horror we inflected on this country, and for what? The only people that gained anything from that war was the American 1%, who became even richer supplying equipment to the war effort. 

That war, like all wars, was all about money to the rich. I wish all those GIs back in the sixties would have burned their drift cards."


I'm so damned tired of people honoring war and the people who fight them. War is not noble; it has become a means of redistributing wealth. And where is the honor in making rich people richer at the expense of poor-people’s lives? War should be the very last result of a situation that has no other conceivable solution. And if we honor anyone, it should be the people who know how to avoid war through something called diplomacy. 

Just my $0.02




No comments: