Saturday, December 31, 2016

Reading Treasure Island

When I checked into the Smith Residence here in Chiang Mai, I noticed that Treasure Island was on the shelf of their lending library. I read it in my youth, but I decided to read it again.

Treasure Island is an adventure novel by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, narrating a tale of "buccaneers and buried gold". First published as a book on 23 May 1883, it was originally serialized in the children's magazine Young Folks between 1881 and 1882 under the title Treasure Island or, the mutiny of the Hispaniola with Stevenson adopting the pseudonym Captain George North. Traditionally considered a coming-of-age story, Treasure Island is a tale noted for its atmosphere, characters and action, and also as a wry commentary on the ambiguity of morality – as seen in Long John Silver – unusual for children's literature.


I found it a delightful read, with interesting characters, plenty of action to keep the plot moving nicely, and a wonderful and entertaining voice. It was originally written for a young adult audience, but there is enough complexity woven into the characters so it can also be a joy for us mature adults. It is no wonder this book has turned into a classic. I’ll be putting more of Stevenson's works on my reading list.

No comments: