Friday, January 6, 2023

Dinner with Friends

It was the last night of Ben’s annual ten-day visit, and we all went out to dinner at John Henry’s. We had a lovely patio table and were warm under the heaters. There was a possibility of rain, but the weather gods smiled at us this night. The service was good and the drinks plentiful. We all had a rather fun and joyous evening, but there were two downers for me: 

1)    The food at John Henry’s hasn’t been any good since the previous owner, John Laszlo, sold the restaurant five years ago. So my Lamb chops were expensive but not very tasty.

2)    I’m doing a dry January, February, and March. Which means, of course, everyone at the table but me got a little sloshed with good cheer. I have to say it’s not much fun watching others get drunk. I tried to laugh it off but the longer it went on, and the drunker they got, the more annoyed I became. I was happy to close that evening and go home to a warm, quiet bed.


Still, I rank these lovely men high among my short list of best friends, and it was wonderful to spend time and share a meal with them. 




No comments: